Monday, July 28, 2008

Lucky 13

Today is an unusual day for me. An anniversary of sorts.

It doesn't have an official name in my mind. I don't always react very strongly to it or even remember it. But along the lines of my birthday or wedding anniversary, a very important life changing day indeed.

Thirteen years ago today I was diagnosed with cancer.

Some years I get very emotional. Some years I forget the day until it's passed. Some years, like this year, it's just another day...

Thirteen years ago today was a day that changed myself and my life forever.

And really, if it hadn't been for that day, this blog wouldn't exist. Where I am today would be a completely different place... A completely different me.

Luckily, for the most part, I like this me.

It's unusual to be able to look back at a thing like cancer and say 'I'm glad that happened.'

But oddly enough... While maybe not glad... I wouldn't have had it any other way.

No comments: