Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Joys Of Moving In Vancouver

So rather unexpectedly, we've found that we have to move.

This was not a planned thing on our part... We had been fairly certain we'd spend at least the next few years here. We've enjoyed the last year here and if there's any one thing I hate above all else on this planet... It's moving.

Well, ok. Maybe that's a little bit of an exaggeration... I mean when you can choose things like big evil corporations, pollution, etc, etc... Maybe moving isn't so high on the list.

On a personal level though, I hate it.

At any rate, the owners of the house we're in suddenly sold it. Vancouver real estate market being as ridiculous as it is, they didn't even mean to sell it and it was gone.

So we were on the hunt.

Let me first reiterate that last comment. The Vancouver real estate market is ridiculous.

We have no intention of buying here. Ever. When a condo in our neighborhood starts in "the low 800's", you know something just isn't quite right.

Plus there's the whole BC to Bergen thing... You know how it is.

The problem with the real estate market being as ridiculous as it is means that the rental market is just as bad. People can't afford to buy anymore... so the whole rental market turns into a head hunt.

It's harder to find a place to live in Vancouver than it is to find a job.

When you think about our huge homeless problem in the city and you realize that even two respectable professionals (as are we) have issues finding a place to live... the people that have no money don't stand a freaking chance.

At any rate... today we found our place.

It was probably the 30th we've looked at in the last two weeks. I've never had to do a search like this. I often say that I choose my home the same way I buy my pants... I walk in, I try them on quick, I pay, I leave. No window shopping. No store to store. No checking the brand.

I like it, I buy it. 'Nuff said.

Truly though, this hunt was different. The places that are available are in two categories... Too expensive or never meant to live in.

Too expensive speaks for itself. There's only so much of my monthly income I should have to put towards lodging.

Never meant to live in... Well... A lot of that comes to houses that were never meant to have basement suites... Places where the ceiling height is only 6'5", if that, because they were meant to be basements... places where stuff was stored as opposed to places where people live.

Then you also have the worst of both worlds... The too expensive, too small, not fit for a jail cell, never mind a place to live. The 500 sq foot apartment.

I don't take up much for space. I live relatively lean... however... even when I was single... 500 sq feet would not have been enough for me.

The one other thing is because of the shortage in affordable housing... everyone and their dog is fighting for the same spaces. Well... except for the fact that there's no pets allowed. So their dog is out. Every place you go to, you get a line of people waiting to see it. Then they ask things they aren't even legally allowed to know... but you don't really have a choice but to answer as otherwise you won't get the place. I've had job interviews less intense.

It comes down to who looks best of course... I have to say we come off as respectable, but I've never been a fan of popularity contests.

So i repeat to myself, we found the place. The stress of the last two weeks is done. We're going back to apartment life... but it felt right from the second we walked in. Gorgeous view of the city... Balcony... Outdoor pool... Looked like a very cool building and hopefully somewhere we'll fit right in.

The best part... we don't have to hunt again anytime soon... and I'm most definitely going to keep myself away from Craigslist.

4 comments:

Grandma Simons said...

SOOO glad that you found a new apartment! It sounds fabulous -- and, thanks to you two, I've learned all about apartment-hunting on Craig's List -- I won't miss that daily routine! LOL!

Mr. Mike Simons said...

Yeah - I totally don't envy you guys that.... sheesh.... Glad you found something!

-M

mamajoy said...

Boo-hoo. No one told me you had a blog. I had to follow the link from AcadiaDawns. I feel so left out.

Seriously, though, glad you won't be in a cardboard box. I hear they're a pain in the rain. :-)

Jon said...

Glad you guys found it. I didn't notice we had comments until today... ;) We'll write more about the move and pictures of the new view as it happens.