Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Epic Journey



Last winter we went dog sledding... It was a two hour, eighteen kilometre trip.

We loved it.

Hearing about our adventures... My mother-in-law mentioned how it had been a lifelong dream of hers... So again, when they found themselves on our coast for a visit, we took them up to Whistler for our second experience.

They loved it.

We found though that the second time, although still enjoyable... was no longer enough for us. It was a little too touristy, a lot too quick... So we vowed that the next time we'd go, it had to qualify as epic.

No three hour tour. No down the path and back.

Truly epic.

So we originally thought that we'd go while in Iceland on the first leg of our upcoming journey. There was a nine hour one we read about briefly... We thought that sounded a little better. Nine hours in Iceland could possibly qualify...

Until I stumbled across a website for Norway.

I looked at it. I considered it. I figured i'd file it away.

Maybe next time we go... We can make it an anniversary present or something... Not this trip, but sometime in the future...


Then I was foolish (or perhaps wise) enough to send my wife the link...


My hesitation started changing pretty quickly.


She found one that started in the north of Norway... the far north... practically the edge of the world. If I wasn't pretty damn sure the Earth is round, i'd be sure we'd fall off going that far north.


Just to give you an idea:



View Larger Map


You can't get much farther north than that.


I've always wanted to go to the north of Norway. From what we've seen, it's probably one of the most amazing, stunningly beautiful places on Earth.


So now, after some brief convincing me on Beth's part... It looks like we're going to fly up to the far north just after New Year's... and head out on a four day dog sledding adventure.


If that's not epic... Epic doesn't exist.


Really, for us, it's the perfect time to do it. Who knows what life changes we'll find ourselves with in the next year or two... So, as I've mostly done for the last fifteen years... We're going to live for the now... and go have the adventure while it's there.


Take a little more setting everything up before it's confirmed... but I'm sold on it.


This trip is forming up nicely.

(and the count is at 24 more shifts... in case you were wondering)

1 comment:

Grandma Simons said...

Oh! We're SO EXCITED for you both! Yes, you are very smart to do it now while you can. Who knows what the next couple of years hold? ;-)

Love,
Mom